Monday, August 6, 2012

Frozen Fruit for Your Puppy!



So, Ryan and I just recently had a new addition to our family....a puppy! We are far from ready to have children, so we thought that a dog would be fantastic for us.  Since we got our puppy (whose name is Linus) we have had many sleepless nights, a thousand potty breaks, and numerous accidents in the house.  Needless to say, having a puppy could be comparable to having a baby :).  However, Ryan and I have enjoyed every minute of our new puppy.  Having a dog below our feet and in our lap constantly is a wonderful feeling.  When we leave and come back home there is always a tail (or nub as we like to call it) wagging to see us!

Okay...so here comes what the real point of this post is about.  Friday, Ryan and I took Linus to his second puppy vet appointment.  While we were there the vet gave us a great idea to give our puppy ice cubes to chew on.  She said that this would help him while he is teething, and hopefully distract him from chewing on furniture, cords, etc.  Then on the way out of the vet, a wonderful lady (wish I knew who she was so I could give her credit for this idea) told us to freeze chunks of fruit for the dog to chew on.  She said she did this with her puppy and she never had any problems with him chewing on the furniture.
I though this was a fabulous idea, and seeing as Linus just lost his first tooth and has begun to chew on everything I decided to give it a try.  Ryan and I had some left over cantaloupe in the refrigerator that I just placed on a plate in the freezer.  I will give Linus on of these ever so often and he LOVES it! Chewing on the frozen fruit keeps him occupied for a good while.

Now before going and freezing fruit for you dog it is important to remember that dogs can not eat everything that humans can eat.  Before feeding my dog cantaloupe I did some research and everything I found said that it cantaloupe is okay for your dog to eat, and it even has good vitamins that can help strengthen your dog's immune system.  In saying this, I would advise you to do some research before you freeze certain fruits (or any other "human" food) for your dog.  For example, grapes, raisins, peaches, and plums are a few FRUITS that are dangerous to your dog (this does not include the multiple other food that are dangerous).
Some good ideas of fruit to freeze for your dog would be:

  • Cantaloupe 
  • Watermelon
  • Honey due
  • Apples
  • Oranges
  • Bananas

Also, before feeding your dog fruit make sure to remove all stems and seeds that can also become dangerous to your puppy :)

Until next time,
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment